Word of the Year for 2021

 


I doubt I need to say that 2020 didn't go as planned.

For anyone.

It's interesting though, as it always is, that the word
I chose for the year ended up being
exactly the right one. 

It took on a completely different meaning
than I had imagined it would.  I chose the word DANCE
for 2020. I didn't really know how the word would 
play out
but early into the whole COVID shut down, it became 
clear that 
2020 was going to be about rhythms ...
everything 
changed,
basically overnight, and we were
left to figure out what our new rhythms
would be. Here in Australia, or at
least where we live, life has
basically gone back to
normal ... just with
COVID
protocols
and increased
cleaning, etc.  For us
as a family, life went back to 
'normal'-ish but then our puppy was
diagnosed with an aggressive cancer.  We 
walked a bittersweet couple of months with him,
enjoying every minute that we had left.  Life
had already 
slowed to it's new rhythm
and we slowed it even more to
spend 
more time with our pup.
  In November, 
we had
 to say goodbye
and then
begin
the 
slow
dance
that is grief.



Mid way through 2019 ... and continuing through all 
of 2020 I dealt with multiple situations that were entirely 
out of my control. 
As much as I wanted to, and tried to, I couldn't fix 
what needed to be fixed to change the situations. 

Somewhere 
along the way, I just surrendered. 

Surrendered to the idea 
that everything isn't going to work out the way I want it
to.  Surrendered to the idea that I will still be ok, 
that life will still be ok ... no, that it will still
be more than ok, that it will be good.
Even when seasons change. 
When friendships you 
thought would be
forever, end.
When
you grieve
loss ... in it's 
varied forms.  When
the world is turned upside 
down, possibly changed forever.
None of these things are within my 
control to change.  But, what is within my 
control is how I respond.  How I chose to deal.
What I allow my thoughts to dwell on.
And how I decide to move 
forward.

Coming to this 
understanding within 
myself this year has left me with
an unexpected feeling of contentment.
An acceptance of life ... as it is.
With all that has and will
unfold in the future.
With a renewed
HOPE.

My word for 
2021 didn't come
to me quickly.  As I 
began to think about it,
I played around with a few 
words that I liked the sound of.
One was variety, the other was 
diverse.  But they didn't encompass 
exactly what I was thinking.  My thoughts 
were around expanding my horizons ... but, you 
know, not being able to travel or anything, having to
expand them locally.  I feel like 2019 and 2020 left me
in a bit of a rut.  Feeling a little stuck dwelling on things
that had been ... but were no longer. 

I don't want 
to stay in that place.  

I want to do new things.  
Visit new places. 
Try new foods.  
Walk paths that I haven't yet. 
Climb different mountains.
Swim in different lakes, beaches, water holes.
I want to spend time in the city, and in the country.
I want to read and learn and share and grow.

And so the word I have 
landed on is ...

NEW.

It's a simple word.
But it's a big word.

While I will continue in the 
rhythms of life as they stand now,
I have also decided that this 
year I will:

1. Hike to the top of a different mountain each month.
It doesn't have to be one I've never hiked 
before, it just has to be a new one
each month.

2. Walk on a new beach each month.
I will obviously still hit my favourites as I walk
on the beach multiple times a week but when I have 
the time, I'm going to hit up a new one. 
There are so many beautiful beach where I live ...
 and I want to walk on
as many of them as I can!

3.  I love waterfalls ... but I don't often enough make the
time to hike into the woods to see them.  So, 
this is the third "new one per month"
that I'm going to aim for this year.

With everything else,
I'm not setting 'strict" goals 
or guidelines.  I really like my word
to be a guide ... not a regulation.  Having
said that, I am going to be intentional about 
eating a variety of foods, trying new ones that I have
never tried before.  I'm going to try new exercises. 
Yoga comes to mind.  I've tried it online but
I'd like to try it with an actual teacher that I
can talk to ... cuz I'm sure I'm not doing
it right!  My husband and I are 
planning weekends away.
Finding places we
can drive to,
places
we
have
not yet 
explored.
Rory gave me 
a mountain bike for
Christmas (we still have to
go pick it and get it ... covid brought
on a bike shortage in our area!!) but once I 
get it, I want to start riding more with him.
Of course, we will continue to climb
and I will continue with my twice
a week pilates classes.
And as happens 
every year
-
we will just
see where it goes!
The word 
NEW 
may take on
an entirely 
different meaning.
And I'm here 
for it!

xx



 


Comments

  1. Wow. Magnificent. Love everything about this, the words, the sentiments, the format making a nice design, the goals. Sounds like a wonderful new path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your artistic sense coming out in word format is beautiful. A throw-back to when you decorated quotes with art. Loved it. "Behold, I make all things NEW..." Rev 21:5. My word for the year is "tabernacle". Rev 21:3 "" Hinei, The Mishkan of Hashem is with men, and he shall TABERNACLE with them, and they shall be His people, and Hashem Himself shall dwell among them." =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I like that word for the year!

      Ps ... Who is this? :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I am interested to hear your thoughts! Share them here in the comments ...

Popular posts from this blog

This is me.

Word of the Year for 2023